Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Money Honey

I had radio frequency ablation yesterday.  The doctor basically zapped my nerves so the pain will either be stopped indefinitely or months at a time.  The procedure was uncomfortable to say the least, as I was awake the entire time. So far, the pain is significantly reduced.  I am hesitantly optimistic in even saying I have relief as I am afraid I will be disappointed yet again.  Mostly, I am fatigued as all the junk they put in my system is trying to get out.  This is where my faith is put to the test.  I am praying this is the miracle I have asked for.  I am so incredibly thankful for those of you who joined in prayer.
This is a test.  This is only a test.  I find myself repeating this phrase constantly.  The implications of this test far out way any spelling test I had in grade school.  This test reaps heavenly rewards or consequences. 

For because He Himself [in His humanity] has suffered in being tempted (tested and tried), He is able [immediately] to run to the cry of (assist, relieve) those who are being tempted and tested and tried [and who therefore are being exposed to suffering].  Hebrews 2:18

Consider it wholly joyful, my brethren, whenever you are enveloped in or encounter trials of any sort or fall into various temptations.  James 1:2

Be assured and understand that the trial and proving of your faith bring out endurance and steadfastness and patience.  James 1:3
Do you know your love language?  Mine tie between gifts and acts of service.  The impact of not being able to give gifts as I used to or to display acts of service hurts my heart almost as much as my neck hurts.  God is using this in a dominant way.  Over the weekend, I began to truly realize the financial cost of chronic pain.  Literally.  If we didn’t have insurance, one prescription alone is $700.  Every co-pay (several times a week) is $30.  We are still paying for the surgery and now all the procedures are adding up. Not to mention my cute as a bug car continues to demolish our finances as it breaks down every other month. I had to remind myself it’s not our money anyway.  It’s His.  We had a choice to make.  According to the checkbook, if we didn’t tithe, we’d have a cushion to fall back on.  That was out of the question.  It was time for another test. 
Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.  Malachi 3:10
Boy howdy, did we pray.  I consider us good stewards of our finances.  Like many right now, times are hard, but the blessings are still there.  Before we moved, we owned our home, had 2 vehicles in perfect condition, we both worked full-time, we had everything we needed and more often than not we had what we wanted.  I have always liked bargain shopping, but now it’s not really a choice.  When I go into one of my favorite thrift stores, I have homeless people approach asking for food.  Testing?  123? We are not in poverty.  If it weren’t for the situation I am in, would I ever be able to minister to “the least of these?”   
He made himself obvious over the weekend.  At church, the sermon was spot on.  Bible study was verbatim about giving and pain! (Don’t you love it when that happens?)  Then an amusing thing happened, my love language started getting filled.  Friends began giving gifts out of “the blue.”  People are providing food for when I am recovering.  It’s not so much what gifts I can give, and what acts of service I can do for others right now, but it’s what others have been doing for me.  It’s a humbling, beautiful test. I am really hoping for a gold star! 

No comments:

Post a Comment